1-Year UAE Visa Extension Available for Widows and Divorced Women without a Sponsor

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is among the places in the Middle East where there are a lot of difficult rules and laws that its people and visitors must follow.

Applying for a visa and getting an extension come with a number of conditions that are not needed in other places — take for example the need for having a male sponsor before you can get a visa and an extension.

But recent changes in visa regulations have made a number of things possible, including a 1-year visa extension for widows and divorced woman without a sponsor! The same thing applies to the woman’s children.

Under the new reforms, the woman can sponsor herself and her children instead. To ensure their privacy, widows and divorced women can apply for the visa extension at a private office in the General Directorate of Residency & Foreign Affairs (GDRFA) center of Dubai Festival City (DFC).

Photo credit: Brand Synario

GDRFA director of entry permits, Lieutenant-Colonel Jasem Ali Ahli, revealed that 12 female employees have been given the special task to handle the concerns of these ladies who can expect to receive their visa extension in 48 hours. However, it is important that the woman and her children meet the requirements.

Requirements and Conditions

  • The woman and her children should be under the former/late husband’s visa
  • The visas should not be expired
  • The woman can provide proof that she can support herself and her children
  • Proof of divorce or husband’s passing
  • Emirates identity card
  • Medical fitness certificate of the mother and her children
  • Tenancy contract in the name of the woman

Photo credit: VooTours


Upon application, be prepared to pay the following fees:

  • AED 100 (Php1.500) for cancellation of old visa
  • AED 100 (Php1.500) for the new 1-year residence visa extension

It is worthy of note that after the 1-year visa expires, the woman and her children do not have to pay extra upon leaving the country.