Displaced OFWs Can Avail of Up to Php20k Unemployment Benefit from SSS

Displaced OFWs can avail of up to Php20k unemployment benefits from the SSS! That’s definitely good news, particularly to the many OFWs who lost their jobs due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

SSS Offers Unemployment Benefits

Understanding that many of its members have lost their jobs, the Social Security System (SSS) offers unemployment benefits of up to Php20k. The final amount that the workers will receive depends on their monthly salary credit, as what they had been paying the SSS every month.

unemployment benefits from SSS

Because the COVID-19 crisis has affected locally employed individuals and overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) alike, they are entitled to this benefit as long as they meet the following criteria:

  • Member must have made at least 36 monthly contributions to the SSS
  • At least 12 of these payments should have been made in the past 18 months before unemployment
  • Member should not be over 60 years old at the time of job loss
  • If racehorse jockey, member should not be over 55 years old at the time of job loss
  • If a mine worker, member should not be over 50 years old at the time of job loss

Displaced workers can also apply if they lost their jobs to reasons aside from the coronavirus outbreak. Such includes retrenchment, redundancy, natural disasters, business cessation, and workers who are forced to resign due to inhumane and unbearable treatment at work.

It’s easy to apply. All she has to do is obtain a certification from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office that she had been displaced due to pandemic-related reasons,” explained SSS Hong Kong officer in charge Lester Mata.

How to Apply for SSS Unemployment Benefits for OFWs

To apply for the SSS unemployment benefits, the OFW must create a My.SSS account through the SSS website.

unemployment benefits from SSS

Photo credit: The Summit Express

Provide all the necessary information, including contact number. It is better to use a mobile number if the SSS member plans to receive the benefit through remittance centers.

Secure a job loss certification from POLO. Use this to apply for the benefit via the My.SSS account.

Once approved, the money will be sent to the SSS member’s chosen account.

Take note that the unemployment benefit can’t be availed together with another SSS cash grant. Also, this should be filed within 1 year from the involuntary separation.